Table of Contents
When you have decided that it is time to sell your car, don’t just Google “where can I sell my car” and select the first option. Make sure that you understand the three different avenues that you can take to sell your car. Depending on what you decide, it might be helpful for you to write an ad so that potential buyers can learn about your vehicle.
Where Can I Sell My Car
There are three main ways that you can sell your car. There are advantages and disadvantages no matter which way you choose. What you have to decide is which method works best for you. When making this choice, one of the biggest considerations is usually which option will pay the most for your car.
1. Sell to a Dealership
The first way you can sell your car is to go to a dealership, and there are two ways to do this. One way is to sell the car outright. The second way is to work a trade-in deal.
It is beneficial to sell your existing car to a dealership if you intend to work a trade-in deal or purchase a new car through them. When you sell your car to a dealership for a trade-in, any money that you make on your car will be used when you purchase your new car. If you have to finance the new car, using your profits from the sale of your car will lower your monthly payments.
Here is a guide on how you can sell your house fast.
The biggest disadvantage to selling your car to a dealership is that you are not likely to get the best sales price for your car. Car dealerships have to account for making improvements to the cars that they buy. They cannot offer full market value for the car because their improvements have to go into their sales price.
2. Sell to a Car Buyer
The second way you can sell your car is to sell it to a car buying company. There are two main advantages to selling your car this way. First, the price is usually higher than when you sell your car to a dealership. Second, you will put less effort into selling your car.
Selling your car to a car buying company allows you to avoid the need to take detailed pictures. You will not have to meet with private buyers or haggle over prices at a dealership. Overall, it is easier to sell your car to a car buying company.
3. Sell Your Car Privately
The third way to sell your car is to sell it privately. When you decide to sell your car privately, you can expect a higher value for your car. The estimated value of your car when using a private party sale is higher than the estimated trade-in value.
Getting a higher sales price for your car is great but does require some extra steps. The biggest disadvantage to selling your car privately is having to take out an ad to sell your car.
When you take out an ad, you will have to pay the person that runs the ad. When you run an ad, there is no guarantee that your car will sell. Below are some steps to help you create the best ad for your vehicle.
Steps to Writing an Ad for Private Sale
If you decide that selling your car privately is more beneficial for you, you will want to create an ad to sell your car. The better your ad, the better your chances of quickly selling your car. Here are five things that you should do to make the best ad:
- Clean your car, inside and out. You will want your car to look as good as possible for pictures.
- Complete minor repairs. Buyers are looking for cars that are in good mechanical condition.
- Take high-quality pictures of the inside and outside of your car.
- Give a good description and specific details about the car’s features.
- Keep the sales price consistent across platforms if you post your ad in more than one place.
Not all of these steps are as easy as they may seem. It can be challenging to write a good description of your car. Here are seven things that you should include in your car ad:
- List the make, model, and year of your car.
- Note how many miles are on the car.
- Talk about the condition of the car. Be honest with your description because the potential buyer will eventually look at your car. They will be able to tell if your ad was truthful.
- Disclose any mechanical issues and whether or not the car has been involved in an accident.
- Highlight the car’s most valued features and describe any upgrades you have made to the car.
- Let the potential buyer know about any warranty, manufacturer, or dealer still available.
- List a fair and firm price.
When possible, back up your statements with pictures. For example, if you list that your car has great gas mileage, show a picture of the dashboard where your car shows the MPG.
Still Unsure – Shop Around
If you’re not convinced writing an ad and selling your car privately is your best option, don’t worry. The best thing you can do is shop around. There’s no harm in contacting an online car buying company. They can help you make your final decision on the best way to sell your car. Take time to weigh the pros and cons of each sales method. Then, decide how much effort you can put into the car selling process.