Tools of the makeup trade, brushes, and sponges play an important role in your makeup application and the final look.

Don’t have a good blending brush? Well, you’re not going to get the perfect smokey eye.

Your foundation brush is less than impressive? Well, so will your base be!

Hence, anyone who does makeup cherishes their brushes and guards them with their life. However, no matter how protective you might be of your brushes, you cannot protect them against bacteria.

And when you use these brushes to apply makeup to your face, you also then transfer bacteria to your skin, causing problems that require the help of the Best Skin specialist in Lahore then.

Brushes and bacteria: The connection

Makeup brushes are generally kept out in the open; whether they be in your drawer or on your dressing table, they are exposed to air, from where they get attacked by the bacteria.

Over time, bacteria might then develop colonies. Provide humid and warm conditions, you have the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and even fungus, although it tends to grow more on the sponges.

Moreover, there even might be different types of bacteria flourishing on your makeup brushes and similar paraphernalia, which is even more alarming.

It is also important to know that even if you regularly wash your brushes, some of the more resilient bacteria might stay, and with greater ferocity. Hence, after a year or two, it’s better that you change your brushes.

Cleaning the brushes

Brushes, especially the good ones, are rather expensive. So, you cannot simply change your brushes after few uses; that is also bad for the environment as well. You can however clean them regularly.

This then clears them of the bacteria, till and when possible. Moreover, you also need to clean brushes to get rid of the product, as otherwise, you will not be able to get clean and precise makeup; imagine trying to pull off golden eye shadow using a brush with remnants of black powder.

Hence, it is vital to regularly clean your makeup brushes, but running them under the water will not do it. For one, there is far too much product to simply get out via water.

Furthermore, water is ineffective against bacteria. Many makeup products are oil based, so water will not be able to dissolve the product and resolve the issue.

By Manali