Any patient who is treated in a hospital or clinic and does not spend the night there and is discharged after his treatment is known as an outpatient. Outpatient care is totally different than that of the care of inpatients. But they need more attention than a normal patient. Addiction is not a single disease, in fact, it causes so many dangerous diseases like cardiovascular disease, stroke, cancer, HIV / AIDS, hepatitis B and C, lung disease, mental disorders, etc that have worse and severe effects on our life and sometimes may cause death. There are some drugs that can also affect your teeth very badly and also change their natural color.
Steps of the treatment and outpatient program:
Alcoholics Anonymous introduced the outpatient program firstly in the medical field. A complete list is made in the rehabilitation centres program of how drug addicts are treated. Their list involves these steps:
- The patient is treated gently and is made to feel that everyone is his friend and that he can speak his heart out to them.
- When a drug addict feels that everyone there, is his friend, he tells them how he got addicted to the drug and by whom.
- Make a list of all the bad things he has done while intoxicated.
- Then he admits his every mistake that how many people he has harmed during his disease.
- Then all these people are called to this center, it is true that to do so is a little dangerous work, but this has to be done so that the drug addict can apologize for his mistake. Doing so creates a hatred for drugs in his heart.
- And also continue proper medication that detoxify the addict internally.
Types of effective treatments for the outpatient program:
There are many types of outpatient programs that are designed for their treatments. Some of the most popular and effective types of treatments are as following:
- Long term residential treatment
- Short term residential treatment
- Outpatient treatment programs
- Individualized Drug Counseling
- Group counselling
Long term residential treatment:
It depends on the condition of the patient, what kind of treatment should be provided to the patient. If his or her condition is very critical, then his treatment may be prolonged, so he is kept in the rehab center for a long period which may be of 6 to 12 months. Proper attention and medication are provided to the patient and he is not able to discharge of his own will. Family members are allowed to visit her or him so that the patient can calm down and do not panic.
Short term residential treatment:
This treatment is mostly applied for such patients who are addicted to alcohol because if they control the patients from drinking alcohol, they can get rid of this habit. This method of treatment usually lasts for 3 to 6 weeks.
Outpatient program: The patients who are treated through this method, do not stay in the center but stay at home. That’s why it is a cheaper way as compared to the other methods. It also provides a lot of responsibilities to the patient’s family. Day treatment is also involved in this type of treatment. Day treatment is a program partially based on hospitalization for such patients who are suffering from mental, emotional, or addictive disorders, for which care is not required for 24 hours like inpatients. There are many renowned rehab centers like WhiteSands Sarasota offering the best outpatient facilities that have proven to be effective for a lot of people. You can check them out as per your individual needs and choose the best one for yourself.